North Hollywood area dentist describes porcelain crowns
Sometimes, teeth become weak or broken. This may be due to a recent root canal, trauma, or an extremely large filling that has affected the structure of the natural tooth. When these concerns occur, it is important for patients in and around the North Hollywood area to speak to a dental professional such as Dr. Fadi Edmond Elzayat about the placement of porcelain crowns.
Crowns are restorations used in general and cosmetic dentistry to restore and protect natural teeth. They have a variety of uses in dentistry and are extremely popular for patients of all ages. These restorations are also known as caps as they cover all sides of a tooth. They are made using impression of the tooth after preparation, during which a very thin portion of enamel is removed from the structure of the tooth. This ensures that no extra bulk is added when the porcelain crown is placed.
Dr. Fadi Edmond Elzayat may suggest dental crowns in many situations, including:
- When teeth are weakened after endodontic therapy has removed the dental pulp from inside the tooth’s structure and the blood supply is no longer available
- When teeth have been traumatized due to injury or breakage, which results in a cracked or chipped tooth
- When teeth have had extremely large areas of decay removed and addressed with a filling that reduces the integrity of the tooth’s structure
- When a dental implant has been placed and needs a false tooth over the top
- When a dental bridge needs to be fabricated, two crowns are fused to one or more pontics to replace missing teeth
- When a tooth near the back of the mouth has severe staining and discoloration that cannot be addressed with professional-grade bleaching
Dr. Edmond and the team of A-Dental Center provide crowns for a variety of reasons and may suggest patients strongly consider the fabrication and placement of one depending on their dental needs. Patients are urged to speak with their dentist about the placement of crowns.