Dental Clinic in North Hollywood explains how to handle a dental emergency
While no one expects to encounter a dental emergency, it happens to many patients at some point or another. Having a trusted dental clinic that you can turn to in a time of emergency is important. At A-Dental Center, we make it a priority to see dental emergencies on the same day if possible, and provide treatment quickly.
If you have to wait a few hours to see the dentist, there are some steps you can take to minimize pain and discomfort.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers such as Tylenol
- Consume soft foods or liquids and try chewing on the side that does not hurt
- Avoid highly acidic or sugary foods
- Denture adhesive can be used to temporarily hold a dislodged crown or bridge
In any dental emergency, it’s important to stay calm and call us right away. If you are bleeding, or have a facial or head injury, please visit the hospital emergency room right away. If a tooth has been knocked out due to injury, do not touch the root. Hold the knocked out tooth by the crown and rinse it gently. If possible, place the tooth back in the socket. If not, put it in a glass of milk and call the dentist for immediate care.
While many dental emergencies are unavoidable, there are some things you can do to help minimize the risk of one occurring.
- Wear a guard to protect teeth during physical activity or sports
- Cut down on sugary foods and beverages as they increase the risk of decay
- Make sure to practice good oral hygiene and maintain regular dental visits because many dental emergencies are caused by deep decay
- Follow directions when taking care of dental restorations to avoid the potential of cracks and breaks
Remember, when in doubt; always call us as soon as possible in the case of a dental emergency. Even if the incident occurs after hours, we have an answering service that can assist you while trying to get the first available appointment.